Heroic Games Grant
Today we are launching our very own micro-grant for multiplayer games, inspired by similar grant programs in the open source ecosystem. We want to connect with indie game developers who are making multiplayer games, which in turn can make full use of Nakama.
Accepted applicants will receive $1,000 in cash to work part-time on their game, plus free hosting on our Heroic Cloud for a year. An additional $500 can optionally be paid in exchange for a tutorial based on the funded work.
- You are making an online game.
- You have a clear use case for the Nakama platform and you intend to use it.
- You’re committed to publishing the source code of your game.
We require that the source code of your game is made publicly available under the Apache v2.0 license by the end of the funding period. This is our way of ensuring that the work produced with this fund is available to everyone for learning purposes.
Upon the conclusion of the funded work, you are free to continue your project under a different license or even a private fork, so long as the original Apache-licensed version remains available.
- Individuals or teams are both welcome.
- You’re free to spend the money as you see fit, e.g. for your own living expenses or paying it forward to another content creator, like an artist.
- You may apply with a game that is already in progress as long as it will be using Nakama. And you’ll still be required to share your source code by the end of the funding period.
- Each approved project will receive $1,000. Half up-front, the other half upon completion.
- Upon completion, an additional $500 can optionally be paid in exchange for a tutorial based on the funded work.
- Only ~3 applicants will be accepted for the first round.
You can make your game with whichever tools you prefer:
There is a wide array of Nakama example games you can learn from; you can even propose an extension or remix of one of these games as your submission!
- Unity – Pirate Panic
- Unity – Fish Game + Tutorial
- Godot – Fish Game + Tutorial
- Macroquad (Rust) – Fish Game + Tutorial
- Defold – XOXO
- Ct.js – Basic platformer
We are taking applications for the next two weeks, from 4rd of May to 18th of May. Our application form will remain open indefinitely, but later applicants might have to wait for a future round of micro-grants.
The work will take place over two months, starting when you receive the first half of the $1,000 payment.